Thursday, March 13, 2014

March Ipsy

I subscribe to Ipsy and Birchbox monthly, because to me it's like getting a nice surprise in the mail every month. I don't always like what I get, like last month which sucked, but usually I'll at least get one or two things that are at least decent.

This month I am actually pleased with both my Birchbox and my Ipsy, but this post is only about Ipsy because lol at writing that much in one post. This month from Ipsy I got an eye shadow quad, nail polish, face primer, and lipstick. I like all of these things. So here's what I got:

First I want to address the bag the sent this month. I just.. I don't know what to make of this. It's sort of cool in a science-y way, but otherwise it's just sort of ugly. I can only assume the design is supposed to be amoebas and other single cell organisms multiplying on it. The artist says the painting is called "Street Anatomy", so there you go.


Sorry I don't have other pics of it. I literally took a pic, and was like "yup that's it" and now the bag is somewhere in my cats' tree house. 

Anyway, first up is the Nicole by OPI nail polish I got. I have literally nothing against nail polish. I love it. I am not sure I will love this, though. The color is "On What Grounds". It's apparently a Roughles type, which is described as apparently goes on like a regular polish but dries to a rough finish. It's supposed to be something like this: 
http://www.nicolebyopi.com/sites/default/files/u1818/Nicole_Roughles-OnWhatGrounds.jpg

But I am literally never going to get my nails to look like that. Plus it feels like I have little bits of sand stuck on my nails which drives me fucking NUTS.

This is Flawless Beauty Primer by Pixi. I don't have much to say about this. It's a primer. It primes your face for foundation. Tada!

So this is a lipstick by BareMinerals called Get Ready. I'm actually really happy with this, other than the somewhat boring color. This lipstick is very pigmented, and went on opaque with one swipe. It's a sort of reddish raisin color.

Get Ready, one swipe without flash:

Get Ready, one swipe with flash:


This is the eye shadow quad I got by Be a Bombshell called Bora Bora. This is by and far the most exciting product in my bag for the month. I mean, look at the colors!

Clockwise, the colors are: Starlet, Bora Bora, Rock Bottom, and Risky Business.

I don't particularly like Be a Bombshell cosmetics. They have distasteful naming practices that I really disagree with (like a blush called Tanorexic), and so I wouldn't ever buy this on my own. As it is, I am going to review it because colors. I am possibly a really awful human being. I'm sorry.

So the colors here are not very saturated, and are somewhat chalky. To get my swatches, I had to literally layer them on for a minute or so. But they do look lovely once they're on. 
As always, my swatches are done with Benefit's Stay Don't Stray on top or left, and NYX milk on the bottom or right.

Be a Bombshell Bora Bora Quad, no flash:

Be a Bombshell Bora Bora Quad, flash:

FYI The most pigmented color to me was Rock Bottom, with Risky Business being the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment