Friday, September 6, 2013

NYX Lipsticks!

Of course, an hour after I resolve to go out and get actual primer (this is the time it takes me to tear myself away from the interwebs) it begins to storm horrifically where I live. So now you all will have to suffer through another one of my posts :D!
HOWEVER! This one contains not only swatches (gasp!) but reviews as well (holy shit!). It's almost like half Christmas but in September. 

Despite my fiance continually saying I remind him of Steve Buscemi in Billy Madison whenever I wear red lipstick (and thus now I feel like this when I put it on):

I absolutely adore buying and wearing all shades of red lipsticks. Two of my favorites are Nyx's Pure Red and Snow White, which I will swatch and review below.
So first, here are two pics of the packages of the lipsticks:

The Snow White is on the left in both pictures, thus Pure Red is on the right. The packaging is typical Nyx- durable, doesn't scratch easily, and you get a look inside to see the actual color of the lipstick which I love. 
The Matte formula comes in a matte case (get it?) and the super cute part are the hearts that adorn the various parts of the packaging. Unfortunately, the top seems to come off a bit easily (not sure if that's just mine?).
The regular lipstick comes in a shorter, shiny case. There were no hearts to exclaim over. However, the top to this one was much more stable.

Swatches (arm and lips)!
On the left is Snow White, on the right Pure Red.


These are my bare lips. I know they're chapped, and rather large. And kinda pale, now that I see them. This is with only chapstick (Noya Lip Balm in Vanilla)
However..
Nyx's Snow White. A deeper, more blueish red. I would venture to call this vampy-red. This is with 3 swipes of the lipstick.
And:
BOOM. Nyx's Pure Red! And it is very, very red. This is with 2 swipes of the lip stick.

These both have AMAZING color pay off, and they last quite a while. My record for Pure Red is ~6 hours, while Snow White beats it out with a whopping 8 hours (and it's damn hard to scrub off your arm). PERSONALLY I absolutely adore Snow White - I think the color would look good on damn near anyone, and I think (or just hope) it compliments my skin tone nicely. And it makes me feel like an extra in True Blood, which is super cool. So naturally I prefer this color. But honestly, they both are very rich colors and have amazing pay offs.

Application:
As I said above, I achieved this pigmentation with 2-3 swipes of each lipstick BUT I also have large lips. For the Pure Red, you could definitely get away with only one swipe, especially if you don't obsess over your cupid's bow like I do. Snow White is the same. Neither pulls on my lips. I've yet to notice any bleeding but I would definitely not apply these without a mirror.

Color Accuracy:
So Nyx's website calls Pure Red a "bright red-orange", which is mostly true. I would definitely not call this orange though. To my eye it's more of a really bright cherry red, and I didn't notice and orange under or over tones.
Nyx's website describes Snow White as "deep, blue-toned red" which is pretty damn accurate. Like really, I couldn't have put it better myself. 

Price Point:
This is absolutely where you can't beat Nyx. The extra creamy round lipstick (i.e. Snow White) is only $4.00USD, and the matte lipsticks are only $6.00USD. Which is crazy to me considering Urban Decay lipsticks are $22.00USD each (albiet I would still totally love a UD lipstick, don't get me wrong).

RATINGS
PURE RED: 
-Value: 5/5: With as much color pay off for the price, I'd say it's quite a good deal
-Color Accuracy: 4/5: Definitely no orange in this lipstick, though I technically could be colorblind?
-Pigmentation: 5/5: HOLY PIGMENTS BATMAN. This shit rocks on the pigment scale.
-Application: 4/5: This is because I had to swipe it 2 times, though your mileage may vary.
TOTAL: 18/20 = A! Good Jorb Nyx!

SNOW WHITE
-Value: 5/5: I can't stress enough how much I dig the price point of this stuff.
-Color Accuracy: 5/5: This color description is spot on. It really is a bluer red (does that make sense?)
-Pigmentation: 5/5: Again, dat pigment! I love the vivid colors of these lipsticks.
-Application: 3/5: :( ONLY BECAUSE I used 3 swipes instead of 2. I'm so sorry Snow White.
TOTAL: 18/20 = A! HOORAY!


And an extra special thank you to Eden Avalon at http://sudobeautify.com/ because I totally used her lipstick rating thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment