Friday, August 16, 2013

Loose to Pressed Eye Shadows + Eyebrow RAGE

If there's one thing I really hate, it's someone fucking up my eyebrows. No, following my instructions isn't hard, and I know exactly what I want. So when this horrific creation happened, I just about lost my shit. I mean, those are not power brows. Those are caterpillars on my goddamn face. RAGE. 

SO I came home and decided to indulge myself with a nice Chantecaille clay mask and some of my favorite Nyx lipstick and do my best impression of Ursula from the Little Mermaid. And that is a Dalek towel.

Anyway, I'm going to show you how to press loose eye shadow because this is supposed to be a makeup blog, right?


So here's what you'll need:
-Rubbing Alcohol
-Bio-Oil (or some sort of glycerin)
-Whatever loose eyeshadow you want
-A nice cloth
-A stirring stick of some sort (I used a bent bobby pin)

The steps are pretty simple, and I've taken pictures of everything as I went along. I used Mica Mineral Eye shadow in Earth, and Shiro's There and Back Again hobbit collection eye shadows in War of Five Armies and An Unexpected Party.

STEP 1: Take the Duster thing out of the eyeshadow

and here's a bonus shot of what the eyeshadow looks like
(maybe step 2 should be GET GLITTER EVERYWHERE)

STEP 2: ADD AND MIX THE ALCOHOL AND BIO-OIL*
*I would recommend only 2 drops of bio-oil to your concoction*
This is what it should look like. Mine was bubbling which made the glitter rise to the surface over and over- kinda looked like lava.

STEP THREE: LET SIT FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES TO DRY
And now we play the waiting game. But since I did some last night...

STEP FOUR: PRESS THE HELL OUT OF THE EYE SHADOW
So, you take your little cloth (mine is just a scrap from an old bathing suit) and you fit it to the top of your eye shadow container. The you find an appropriately sized coin (in this case, a nickle) and you press down as hard as you can. No, seriously. You'll probably have to move the cloth a bit since the point is so the excess alcohol/bio-oil gets absorbed and the eye shadow actually gets "pressed".
Ideally, it will end up looking like...

THIS!
Ahh, so much better than loose shadow! It's so neat and perfect, I just want to hug it and love it forever. That color is War of Five Armies by Shiro Cosmetics.

And now, here's why I prefer to use bio-oil with alcohol instead of just play alcohol:
The one on the left was done with only alcohol. The one on the right was done with bio-oil and alcohol. If you look closely, you can see the one on the left has lots of shit all up on the sides while the one on the right is quite neat and tidy. It's a small thing, but I like it. So personal preference. 

AND BONUS SWATCH OF AN UNEXPECTED PARTY CUZ IT GOT EVERYWHERE
It really is a beautiful shadow. I can't wait to wear it!

3 comments:

  1. I love Shiro!

    Quick question: you use two drops of the bio-oil, but how much alcohol? I've never pressed shadows before, so now I'm thinking about maybe pressing the ones I already have since it looks fairly simple. The loose powders are soooo messy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much just fill it until I can smoothly stir the eye shadow without it going over the side. Does that make sense? It's not a lot at all, and not a scientific measurement. I just eyeball it.

      Delete
  2. Ha, makes sense to me. Thanks! I'm still poking around with my newer 252 palette from Coastal Scents, but eventually I'll get bored with that and get back to my loose stuff.

    ReplyDelete