Wednesday, March 12, 2014

MAC Limited Edition Dreaming Dahlia Lipstick - Review

Sometimes I get in this funk where I'll be like "Hey, I just got the Lorac Pro Palette, I'll totally post about it!" And then I'll realize it's 16 eye shadows and I'll get completely overwhelmed and just not do anything because I'm secretly actually 12 or some shit. On the bright side, I actually did get the Lorac Pro Palette, and the Pro to Go palette, thanks to my fiance, so hopefully I'll stop being a child and review those soon.

So, MAC's Spring 2014 collection is called A Fantasy of Flowers, and as is fitting with the theme all the shit in the collection is named after flowers. I was shocked, I hope you are too. There's tons of stuff in it, which you can see at Temptalia's website which I am not going to buy. But I did buy one of the lipsticks. 
And of course, surprise surprise, it's the coral one.

I have this thing for coral lipsticks. They're like chocolates to me- I could have a million of them and someone would say "Yo, you want this chocolate bar?" And I would reply "abso-fucking-lutely I do". So it was a surprise to say when I went to buy my 2nd ever MAC lipstick, I wasn't actually looking for a coral. I was actually looking for MAC Syrup, a nice neutral pink.

And then I saw it. I asked the SA what it was, and of course she had to mention it was limited edition. It's like she read my mind. So about 5 minutes after walking up to the MAC counter, I walked away with my new delightful lipstick: Dreaming Dahlia!



Dreaming Dahlia is described on the MAC site as a "sheer, coral red". On me, it leans more pink than red but is still very much coral. Like most lipsticks, the redness of the hue will change with your undertone. I am warm leaning neutral. 

It of course comes in the standard MAC lipstick box with the name printed on the bottom:
It's so fancy!

The lipstick itself is housed in the regular MAC bullet. The bullet is a tiny bit sparkly, which I thought was neat but according to my research (aka looking at my only other MAC lipstick) they are all like that so it isn't special in any regard.
Yup, that's a MAC lipstick.

BUT ENCASED IN THE PLAIN PACKAGING IS SOMETHING MAGICAL. The lipstick is indeed a sheer warm coral/red/pink when applied with one coat, but can be built up to a lovely opaque color with multiple coats.

1 swipe, without flash:

1 swipe, with flash:

3 swipes without flash:

3 swipes, with flash:

I'll warn you though, this lipstick doesn't like to play nice with chapped lips AKA mine. It's a lustre finish, so it's supposed to be a bit moisturizing, but the small bit of glitter in it keeps it from really doing much for your lips.

So here it is on my lips with awful pics, courtesy of the fiance:

Bare lips, no flash:

Bare lips, with flash:

Lips with Dreaming Dahlia, no flash:

Lips with Dreaming Dahlia, with flash:

SO TLDR: I love this shit and I should probably buy a 2nd one for when the first runs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment